- People might not express it, but there's gonna be a change in somebody's life.
That's what I'm working for.
- If we don't know our history, no one else is gonna teach it to us.
- I'm formally announcing my candidacy for City Council District Eight.
[crowd cheering] How my life becomes better is politics.
- There came a point where it was either you can kill yourself, or you can be gay and surrender everything you've known and accepted to be true.
- To really find out who I am, I don't think I'll ever have the answer to that.
[ground exploding] - Times like that, people come together.
And I mean all of us pitching in, and that's when we started getting real.
- I grew up very much thinking that even though I looked Asian and I looked Korean, I felt that still encompassed whiteness.
Am I Jewish enough?
Am I Korean enough?
It never feels as if I am enough.
- I've always been a worrier.
I don't trust people like I once did.
- You know, I think everybody has something in their life that changes them.
[dramatic music] ♪ - I love this place, and I hate this place.
Like, I am this place, you know?