(waves crashing) (lighthearted ukulele music) (singing in Hawaiian) (ukulele music plays) (singing in Hawaiian continues) (lighthearted ukulele music ends) (somber piano music begins) (laughter) - [Male] Now you know how she felt.
(grunting) - [Male 2] Still nothing to say?
(men grunting) (punches landing) (men yelling) - [Male 3] I'll kill you!
(forcefully grunting) (melancholy music playing) (heavy breathing) (sobbing) (somber music) (sobbing) (somber music continues) (intense music) (lighter clicking) (hurried footsteps) (heavy breathing) (lighter clicks) - What's up, Flash?
- About time.
What's the matter?
- What do you think?
- Listen, Shorty's tough.
I think he'll be okay.
- They had a gun, Joe.
They could have killed him!
They're just acting tough.
Nobody getting hurt.
- We just lost Dad.
Have we proved Shomatsu?
(Joe sighs) (footsteps ascending) (door opening) - (whispers) Hey man.
- He said nothing.
- Nothing to say.
Ah, what I show you?
Keep your hands up next time!
(Shorty groaning) Take it easy, take it easy.
You know what?
Two weeks, maybe less, that fast.
Ah, a good bruise makes a good story, you know?
And the girls love it, bro.
Hey, why so grim boys?
This is no worse than I can.
- When is this gonna be over?
- Ah, that trial proved nothing.
Hung jury means they still think we're guilty.
- [Joe] Yeah, but we're not.
- It doesn't matter He's right Kalani, Haoles' still convinced we're just a gang of rapists.
- And they're gonna keep coming.
They gotta keep trying to kill us, we gotta do something.
- Like what?
- Fight back.
- Can't let 'em walk all over us!
- Mack's right, bro.
- We don't even know who did this.
- Tell him!
Tell him, Shorty, we know.
- It was sailors, I'm sure of it.
- [Joe] It was sailors?
But which sailors?
- Doesn't matter.
- I don't know though, I saw three guys but I don't know if there's any more than that.
- We should go to the police.
- [Henry] This is five against the Navy.
- Well we can't do nothing!
- Why not?
Why not just lie low?
Just hide out, wait for this to go down.
- And what?
Wait 'til one of us gets killed?
- Nobody's getting killed.
- [Ben] Look Kalani, They almost killed Shorty.
Maybe your mother?
Boys, we gotta go cops.
Okay, yeah, that'll work.
- They can't do nothing against the Navy.
And they don't even give two about us.
Plus they the ones that arrested us in the first place!
- Can't fight and cannot go police.
Why don't we just lay low.
(intense, somber music) - We fight.
We fight or we die!
This ain't boxing, Flash.
Can't take all our problems to the ring, huh?
- [Ben] Me?
Brudda, you the one that hit a lady.
- What's that got to do with anything?
- Happened right before all this started, Kal.
- Oh bro, what's you saying here?
- Cops never woulda- (men arguing) - Guys!
- Say what?
Nobody understand you- - Hey, no more idiocy!
Hey now listen, this ain't nobody's fault, alright?
This ain't nobody's fault, but we in it right now.
And it ain't over.
The fighting not gonna do us no good and neither is hiding.
- So we go to the police.
- No, the police know already.
There's nothing more we can say to them.
- So what then?
- Boys, You just gotta keep on doing what the hell we always been doing.
- Isn't that doing nothing?
- No, it's not.
Once we got nothing to hide, it proves we ain't afraid.
You just keep on doing the hell we always been doing, huh?
I think it'll work itself out.
- Soon as one of us alone, they gonna snag us up.
- [Horace] Hey look, we ain't alone.
Flash look, we ain't, we ain't never alone.
You know, Shuro, the entire time I kept that.
Because, because I knew if I said something, if I said something dumb, any one of you guys would've been next.
You guys know it wouldn't have stopped with me.
It wouldn't stop with any one of us.
Look boys, we stay in this together.
- It's not just us boys.
(somber music playing) (lighter clicking) (ominous music playing) - It was so hot today.
How does anyone live in this swamp?
Vacation I can understand, but to live here?
I was so proud of my Thalia when she married you.
A handsome Navy man.
I want you two back home.
Back east, where we belong.
You clear her reputation.
You do our family proud.
You get justice for our Thalia.
Remember who you are, Lieutenant Massie.
You're smarter than that boy.
Everything will be alright.
(whispers) Oh boy.
(ominous music ends) (engine rumbling) (soft music playing) - Joe Kahahawai?
- Go get in the car, Major Ross wants to see you.
- What's this for?
- I'm just a messenger, but he must be serious.
Got a summons for you here from the territorial police.
Come on, son.
Don't make this difficult.
(sinister music plays) - Massie?
What is this?
- I ain't asking nicely again.
- Hold on!
(car door slams) Where we going?
- Don't worry about that.
Here on out, we're asking the questions.
(engine rumbling) (eerie music playing) (Joe shouting) (door slams) (eerie music continues) - Untie me.
- All right, listen here.
All we want is the truth.
- You have the truth.
I didn't do anything wrong.
- Is that right?
- My wife was raped.
Somebody is responsible.
- Listen, Massie, I'm sorry for what happened to her but I have no idea who did it.
- Why should we believe you?
- We was on other side of town, just like we told you.
- Same lies they told in court, Tommy.
I told you, he needs some convincing.
- [Massie] We don't want to hurt you.
- I do.
- [Massie] Just confess to raping my wife, and this'll all be over.
- I did nothing to your wife.
- But you know who did.
- Say that again haole, say that again.
- [Jones] What you going to do about it?
- Why don't you put that gun down and untie me?
- [Jones] Easy boy.
You and your friends gang raped a harmless woman.
- [Joe] Yeah, and it took three of your boys to take out one of mine!
- That wasn't us!
- [Joe] Oh?
So you just kidnap people then, huh?
That's more your style?
- You don't believe us just like we don't believe you.
I know who beat up Horace, and I'll tell you as soon as you admit what you did.
- I'm done playing Tommy!
Just teach this a lesson.
Come on, Joe.
- We're innocent!
I told you we was on the other side of town.
- [Jones] Stop lying, boy!
- Like we told you in court!
Who was it?
- We was on the other side of town!
- When they?
- Careful, haole.
- Your filthy kanaka friend.
- [Joe] Quit it!
- You lying.
- Unite me!
(gunshot) - You're getting blood on the floor.
- (whimpering) Momma!
(Joe crying) - Shut up!
(Hawaiian chanting) (somber music playing) - [Jones] Come on.
(somber music continues) (chanting continues) (woman whispering in Hawaiian) (somber piano playing) (intense techno music playing) ♪ In this life, we are warriors ♪ ♪ In this world where they're trying to destroy us ♪ ♪ The time is now, we don't have forever.
♪ ♪ Unless we break down all these walls, stand together.
♪ ♪ Yeah, yeah.
♪ ♪ Kill Haole Day was a thing in the seventies, ♪ ♪ Centuries after Captain Cook couldn't let us be.
♪ ♪ Erased our language, anguish ♪ ♪ While the white man's course of action ♪ ♪ is to string up the enemies.
♪ ♪ Cultural genocide, western ideologies ♪ ♪ pushing their own colonies ♪ ♪ Don't tell me how I gotta be!
♪ ♪ Tryna get the juice, but cannot water these guava trees.
♪ ♪ Wakas at the church giving offerings ♪ ♪ On the backside, destroying our monarchy ♪ ♪ Tryna swipe our idolatries for a Dollar Tree?
♪ ♪ Ala Moana Boys, this is your right 'cuz ♪ ♪ Kauluwela boys, yeah, this a reminder ♪ ♪ Joe Kahahawai had died from haole guys, yes ♪ ♪ But don't kill the people, kill the mindset, survive.
♪ ♪ 'Cause even I can admit I can be wrong.
♪ ♪ You should try it, be defiant to survive ♪ ♪ So we can thrive as Hawaiians.
♪ ♪ In this life, we are warriors.
♪ ♪ In this world, where they're trying to destroy us.
♪ ♪ The time is now, we don't have forever.
♪ ♪ Unless we break down all these walls, stand together.
♪ ♪ Yeah, yeah.
♪ (Hawaiian chanting) (techno music continues) (techno music ends)